Friday, April 23, 2010

The London Marathon Is Sunday

Apr. 23, 2010 - United Kingdom - Athletics - Virgin London Marathon 2010 Press Conference - Tower Suite Three, The Tower Hotel, St. Katharine's Way E1W 1LD - 23/4/10..Kenyan runners Samuel Wanjiru (2nd R), Duncan Kibet (2nd L) Abel Kirui (R), Ethiopian runner Tsegaye Kebede (L), Moroccan runner Jaouad Gharib and Eritrean runner Zersenay Tadese (3rd R) ahead of the London Marathon.

London organizers have put together one of, if not THE strongest marathon field ever.

And Letsrun.com has put together a nice preview. I've been working all night and I'm tired, my feet hurt, and I'm hungry, so I'm not doing it myself. See it here
But this is the gist of what's on tap:

Half marathon world record holder (58:22), 5-time world champion Zersenay Tadese.
'08 Olympic, '09 London and Chicago champ Sammy Wanjiru. (2:05:10)
Reigning world champion Abel Kirui. (2:05:04)
Fukuoka record-setter and '08 OG and '09 WC bronze medalist Tsegaye Kebede. (2:05:18)
2nd-fastest marathoner of all-time in Duncan Kibet. (2:04:27)
2009 Worlds silver medalist Emmanuel Mutai. (2:06:15)
2009 London 3rd-placer and former world champ Jaouad Gharib. (2:05:27)


Ok? Those guys are all beasts. And I don't mean that in a derogatory way.
This should be a great, great race.
Of course you cannot watch it live though.

It will be shown on delay at 8am on www.UniversalSports.com for a $5 fee. It will also be shown on the Universal Sports channel at 11am.
You can sleep in and try and shake your hangover before it starts.



One thing I keep seeing though is the athletes talking about getting the travel from their legs, and worrying about the travel effecting their performance.
Yeah, they did have some difficulty getting in due to the volcano(I still can't believe a volcano is shutting the world down. Unreal), but I'd like to point out to them: You're FLYING on an AIRPLANE and riding in BUSES and CABS. You aren't WALKING from Kenya to London.

Ryan Hall said the same thing and used it as a reason for going to Boston 3 weeks before the race.

You're just sitting on an airplane. And if you weren't sitting there, you would be sitting on your couch. Stop being such babies about traveling. I don't want to hear it.

If they don't break the WR I guarantee an excuse that includes "all the travel.." blah blah blah..

No comments:

Post a Comment