Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Javelins Are Dangerous

As much as I love the "Track" part of "Track and Field", the "Field" events really don't interest me at all.
Except when people are injured in them. Like getting stuck with javelins for instance. It seems to happen way more often than it should. You can watch videos of javelin accidents all day on Youtube. But that's OK. They rarely die.

Last week some teens in Pomona, CA found a javelin in some bushes in a park(who loses a javelin?) and naturally started randomly chucking the thing around.
Now, normally javelin injuries occur when the victim is struck by the thrown spear. Well, these kids must have been high, because one of them ran directly into the thing while it was sticking out of the ground after being thrown. Really smart.
The 15y-o stated it "kinda hurt", and was really excited to get a helicopter ride to the hospital. He "thought it was kinda cool".
I'm sure his parents are gonna think the bill for the helicopter ride is real cool too.
  
 http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-teen-impaled-javelin,0,6328600.story

1 comment:

  1. "While I was in the hospital, my mom brought me my favorite snack...paint chips!" -kid who ran into javelin

    ReplyDelete